Yesterday we posted on Facebook that we had three birthday bins for this weekend and invited those with children who are having July birthdays to come in and create a bin.
Facebook being Facebook, it only showed our post to a few dozen of our 560+ "followers." But less than 24 hours later, we now have six birthday bins ready to go.
Which is great news. Because we have never been better stocked in July than we are now. (We're confident our claim holds up for all 23 summers the store has been in business, not just our three as owners.)
Rather than wait to bring in new items until the holidays as is traditionally the case, we've brought many things in early for late summer and early fall birthdays. This way, those kids have a more well-rounded selection to choose from when creating their bins. Including:
1) A TON of fairy garden accessories and fairy figures from three different manufacturers. (In May, we had zero fairy garden items.)
2) New lines for Dinosaurs, Inside Out, Perfect Petzzz and more - not to mention keeping our popular Minecraft items fully stocked (including a new plush squid).
3) A boatload of Stuffies that we've reinvested in now that the price has dropped from $29.99 to $19.99 - one of the best values in our store. It's plush-plus-functionality for little ones, now at a birthday price point.
4) A gazillion Metal Earth model kits. Seriously, we had to get a whole new rack to fit them all. And all under $15.
5) New innovative and extreme outdoor toys - we love the lines we have (like the hot "new" game Spikeball - which we've been selling since 2012!), and now we've expanded into innovative OgoSports items plus we really went deep with new ziplines, slacklines, Sky pogos, a 30-foot water slide and more.
6) Reinvesting in classic fun - we have a new pop gun display, we're fully stocked with hand-carved wooden sling shots, and we just brought in a pull-string "stunt" helicopter, all for under $15.
7) Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty - seriously cool. And great for all ages. We just did our first big re-order after only having this product line for less than two months. Again, nothing here over $15.
8) More birthday items under $20 than ever before. From our new Spicebox craft kits with prices so good we don't think customers actually believe it, to new science kits and science books, to the increasing line of popular PlushCraft DIY pillows.
9) And yes, lots of Ty Beanie Boos and Calico Critters. We have the largest selection on the mountain of both these lines, and we'll put our respective assortments up against anyone in the area. (And we're ordering lots more of both this weekend!)
10) Finally, our loyalty program today crossed the $12,000 reward mark - including $2,000 just since Easter.
We continue to work really hard to find toys and gifts in all price ranges, and to ensure we offer (forgetting for a moment that we carry Fart Bombs) toys with real value.
No store bats 1.000, but we feel our batting average is up there with the best. Especially given the relative size of our store and the small community we serve. Thank you.
Patrick Holland, born in a Cabbage Patch and raised inside the Honeycomb Hideout, is a former Oompa Loompa. He is now co-owner of Mountain Top Toys (with his not-so-silent partner and wife, Joanna), and parent to two daughters, both of whom are beginning to realize their father is just plain nuts. .